Today I’m going to show you a very easy method how to digitize your hand lettering and I will also show you how I designed my logo. Yes!! I finally designed my logo today 😀
First you start out by planning your hand lettering and sketching it out. If the hand lettering is not as perfect as your want it to be, don’t worry! By digitizing it you will be able to arrange mistakes. For sketching I used a Faber Castell PITT Artist Pen which you can get from Amazon by clicking on this link.
As a digital program I used the Adobe Illustrator. I find that this is the easiest way to digitize fonts and typography. While following this exercise, I recommend that instead of using your laptops track pad you use a mouse to have more control.
The following are the step-by-step guide on how to digitize your hand lettering:
- Upload a scan or a photo of your sketch on your PC/MAC
- Run Illustrator and open your image
- With the Pen Tool follow the outline of your hand lettering. Set the Fill color as transparent so that you only have an outline. In my opinion it is better if you first learn how to use the pen tool as it might be a bit difficult to get used to at first.
4. Mistakes will now show more and it will be much easier to correct them since you will have more control.
5. Finally all you need to do is delete the background and you’re done! If you need to use your lettering as a signature you must open it with Adobe Photoshop and save it as an image with a transparent background.
Hope you enjoyed following these steps 🙂 If you need more clarification or to ask any questions do not hesitate to comment below. Alternatively you can also contact me via email@example.com. Would love to see your results aswell!
**Please note that the Amazon links which I provide are Affiliate Links therefore by buying from those links you will also be helping me out with a small commission 🙂